I used to be driving by means of Mississippi, about 10 years in the past, as a British vacationer enroute to Memphis.
Stopped at a roadside gasoline station/fast-food place. There was one other fast-food place throughout the road, however we simply stopped on the one on the aspect of the highway we have been travelling on.
Walked into the meals place (cannot keep in mind which model, perhaps McDonald’s) and the shoppers all instantly stopped speaking and turned to look.
They have been all African American, I am white. I simply assumed that they have been shocked to see somebody so white (Scottish, no tan!)
On the counter, the workers member mentioned, “Are you positive you do not need to eat throughout the highway?” She appeared nervous. I used to be completely clueless and simply mentioned, ‘No, we’re tremendous.”
As quickly as she heard the accent, it was like she relaxed, simply requested the place we have been from and many others. She made a remark, one thing alongside the strains of the world not being one of the best, be careful the place you go.
It was such a shock to comprehend that in some locations, the primary response to me strolling into a spot, might be concern or concern. I might by no means skilled that earlier than.
13. France appeared so unusual
Actually the quantity of individuals below 18 years outdated who smoke in France shocked me.
I used to be on change in a French highschool and anytime children had free time, earlier than faculty, recess, lunch, free durations, a couple of quarter of your entire faculty would go outdoors to the bus cease for a smoke.
Even the lecturers. The sidewalk could be packed and there have been cigarette butts in all places.
Just a few different issues that I discovered bizzare whereas dwelling there:
- There have been little to no teacher-student relationships, you go to highschool to be taught and that is it.
- When toasting others with drinks, you could look the opposite individual lifeless within the eyes whereas clinking glasses collectively.
- The truth that at sure occasions of the yr you arrive in school earlier than the solar comes up and also you get dismissed after sundown.
- Pedestrian crossings do not imply something, it’s important to await vehicles to cease for you, not the opposite approach spherical.
14. Battle and peace